[MUD-Dev] Re: Online vs Offline (was CoH and others)

dienw dienw at gamedevid.org
Mon Jul 19 03:49:45 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaley wrote:
> From: Erik Bethke

>> In regards to Asia, you do not even have to think about it -
>> offline games are completely, completely dead.  Movies are dying
>> too, Koreans and Chinese will never pay for product bits, you
>> have to sell service bits to gethe their money.

> Yeah, dead. That would explain why 2.9 million PS2s were sold in
> Japan last year, even though everyone and his brother already has
> one.

I think Erik refer to Asia country outside Japan as he write
afterwards stating major country as US and 'Japan'.

And I do agree as piracy is quite severe here in Asia. Developing
offline games for local market will be painful. Instead, online
games now is the major attraction for many VC and developers to
enter the industry with more confidence.  The number is spectacular
in some Asian country and promising in younger country with online
games.

Korea might have its own reason. I don=92t think piracy is the main
reason there.  Game center and cultures of strong parental
discipline that not allow them to play too much at home will be much
more a factor. They hang out not in caf= =E9 or theatre but in game
centers.

But, this kind of Asia, apart of China and Korea.. is not considered
as a market for the major publishers. They still don=92t think it
necessary to earn the market here.

Sony for example would just close his eyes for piracy here, as long
as his consoles is sold out well.

-Dien-