[MUD-Dev] Re: Online vs Offline (was CoH and others)

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Mon Jul 19 06:22:13 CEST 2004

"Matt Mihaly" <matt at ironrealms.com> wrote:

> Yeah, dead. That would explain why 2.9 million PS2s were sold in
> Japan last year, even though everyone and his brother already has
> one.

Japan is not considered part of the rest of Asia when talking about
computers. When I was there, using the telephone was EXTREMELY
expensive.  We're talking long distance calls between neighboring
buildings. However, cellphones were quite popular at the time. While
still expensive to call outside the network, within the network, it
was cheaper than traditional phone companies. As such, getting
online for extended periods of time is extremely expensive.

Also, Japan makes the games for the PS2. The videogame stores in
Japan are like heaven made real. Very few of these games get ported
to other Asian markets, and even then, it is usually PC games. I
don't even think the PS2 is legally available in the other markets.

This may have changed in the past three or four years. I know that
some companies have been working on building a Chinese and Korean
game market.

- Sean Howard
www.squidi.net