[MUD-Dev] Re: Online vs Offline (was CoH and others)

Erik Bethke erikbethke at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:23:04 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaley wrote

> Excerpt:

>  "All my online friends play this way too. We think it's uncool to
>  pay," he told Reuters, scrolling down a Web site called
>  www.17ez.com that lists scores of illegal servers offering the
>  popular game "Mu". - Wang Rui, 28.

> What a jerk.

This is true, but part of the problem is the game design of many of
the Korean MMOs.  Many of them such as Mu are little more than
Diablo with persistent characters, meaning that the gameplay
experience of the pirate server is pretty much the same as the full
service.  Thus, just like a packaged good game it is vulnerable to
piracy.

To be immune from piracy your *service* has to be so good that a
pirate server with clients attached to it just is not the smae thing
by such a long shot that the consumer can perceive it.

-Erik