[mudlist] Re: MMO Communities (was RE: [MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations:Theskyisfalling?)

Morgan Dodge thedodgeman at usa.net
Thu Jul 29 18:08:09 CEST 2004

Paolo Piselli wrote:

> Thus, by example, casual/introverted levels of interaction are not
> antithetical to the formation of online communities.  The question
> now becomes: what binds a casual or introverted individual to an
> online community?  Is it enough for some players to solo for a few
> hours a week and browse the VN Boards to feel connected and
> invested in the community?

I think I fit the bill as an introverted individual. Groups tend to
forget I am there due to my lack of social interaction. However
playing solo holds no interest for me, no challenge. I seek out
groups and only play in groups due to the enjoyment I receive from
team work and filling a role. I'm not in the group or game for
chat. True it is there and at times I enjoy the conversation, but
never is it my purpose for playing. I log in to play and achieve
certain goals and those goals always involve experiencing group
dynamics. I am in a guild and play with the same folks all time
because I want to play with like minded people that take playing
seriously. Bottom line what binds me to the community is my need to
feel apart of the world, to be needed and appreciated by others for
my works not my quick wit or ability to voice an opinion on anything
at any given time. <> If my friends leave and I don't establish new
ties quickly then I too will be gone.

Faynor Nostrom
Have cleric, will travel  :)
Proud Member of Shadowed Fates