[MUD-Dev] Level Grind - alternative

Corey Cauble ccauble at pacblue.com
Thu Jul 29 22:43:06 CEST 2004

I just wanted to interject my 2 cents ;)

  1: Has anyone considered having multiple paths for game play? One
  catered to the hardcore gamer and another for the more casual?=20

  Each could have benefits for the type of game play they like and
  have disadvantages that would benefit the other type of play. This
  would allow you to choose a hardcore gamer character type that
  would start out at a low "level" and have the advantage of better
  "stats" and player control, i.e. modifications of player
  attributes. While the casual gamer would have a "pre-made" or auto
  generated character that starts out at a higher level and gets
  basic equipment. This character has little or no control of its
  attributes and can add generic improvements at "level up".=20 You
  could also add the "ultra" hardcore which allows faster leveling
  but has no life after death ;)

  2: Encouraging group play?

  I have also heard a lot about solo vs. group play lately. It seems
  like most games today discourage coop play (of differing levels at
  least). I am not talking about large groups like clans but in
  small numbers of 5 or less. One of my favorite types of play is
  coop be it a FPS or RPG. I think the best application of coop for
  differing levels is having benefits for the higher level character
  to "mentor" the lower levels.  This is implemented by giving
  experience bonuses to the higher character for aiding a lower
  character while in battle. This encourages older seasoned players
  to take the newer players under their wing, by giving both player
  access to "experience" at a faster rate than if they went at it
  alone.=20 You could also give additional bonuses for being the
  leader of the group.

Ultimately for either of these 2 topics to be successful you need to
make sure that a balance is implemented that makes them fair to all
parties.