MMO Communities (was RE: [MUD-Dev] MMORPG Cancellations:Theskyisfalling?)

Douglas Goodall dgoodall at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 30 00:21:21 CEST 2004

Paolo Piselli wrote:

> Thus, by example, casual/introverted levels of interaction are not
> antithetical to the formation of online communities.  The question
> now becomes: what binds a casual or introverted individual to an
> online community?  Is it enough for some players to solo for a few
> hours a week and browse the VN Boards to feel connected and
> invested in the community?

>>From the Obvious Bag:

  I would say the main draw to these kinds of communities is a
  common interest or belief system.

I suspect how "casual" a member can be depends on traffic. I can
read the VN Boards for AO only once a week and feel like I'm up to
date. But I'd feel like I was missing too much even if I read the
DAoC VN Boards 12 hours a day...