[MUD-Dev] Level Grind - alternative

Sean Howard squidi at squidi.net
Fri Jul 30 03:04:14 CEST 2004

"Corey Cauble" <ccauble at pacblue.com> wrote:

>   1: Has anyone considered having multiple paths for game play?
>   One catered to the hardcore gamer and another for the more
>   casual?

Only every game designer of every game ever made. The problem is
that a multiplayer game is by nature competitive (if even just in
who has a bigger sword than who), and those that dedicate themselves
to the game will be bigger and stronger than those that don't. This
rift causes tension. One side says, "I don't want to play as much,
help me out" while the other side says "I worked 470 hours for this
sword. You want it? Go work your own 470 hours". You can't give
handouts to one side and not the other because everyone will migrate
to the side which requires less effort to get farther.

The best way to have this work is the City of Heroes way. Hardcore
players move up and out and away from the casual players.

- Sean Howard
www.squidi.net