[MUD-Dev] Community? (Level Grind)

Samurai Cat! samurai at catacombs.com
Fri Jul 30 15:05:08 CEST 2004

Douglas Goodall wrote:

> DAoC did something like this with their "camp bonus." It didn't
> seem to affect player strategies much. I had a terrible time
> convincing group members that it really was better XP to go from
> camp to camp of yellow/orange, unpopular mobs than to sit in one
> place killing the same purple mobs over and over.

As a former DAoC player, I can attest that the failure of the camp
bonus was simple - it wasn't that big of a bonus. It was much easier
to find a good spot and camp it, even after the loss of the bonus,
because a) it was a known quantity (groups would adopt a set plan
based on the camp and its inhabitants), b) it's a PITA to get seven
other people to pick up and move, and c) if you DID move, you ran
the risk of the other good camps being already camped, and returning
to your original spot to find another group had moved in.

Plus, the advantage to whacking purple mobs over orange/red was that
they had better drops. And it was more fun, more exhilirating, more
risk.