[MUD-Dev] Community? (Level Grind)

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsfinance.it
Fri Jul 30 10:41:20 CEST 2004

Douglas Goodall wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> Just today we implemented something (hardly unique. Others mud
>> have done this for a long time I'm fairly certain) increases the
>> xp reward of mobs the longer they stay alive, in an effort to
>> encourage people not to all rush to the most convenient bashing
>> locations but to spread themselves out instead.

> DAoC did something like this with their "camp bonus." It didn't
> seem to affect player strategies much. I had a terrible time
> convincing group members that it really was better XP to go from
> camp to camp of yellow/orange, unpopular mobs than to sit in one
> place killing the same purple mobs over and over.

Many players just look ad raw numbers and are exited to when they
see 10mln xp after killing a purple mob and think they are getting
huge exp. In reality for good exp you need to consider risk and exp
done in a timeframe. If you need to rest 2 mins after each purple
mob, it can be more rewaring to get half exp per kill and never have
to stop.

> Perhaps it didn't work in DAoC because the camp bonus wasn't well
> know or well explained or large enough. Or maybe there weren't
> enough camps close together... But I suspect it's more like
> "inertia." Camping is the rest state and pushing players to do
> something else requires enough energy/rewards to overcome static
> friction.

I think in this case it's just because you need time to move between
camps, you risk to get killed on the way, risk to find other camp
already camped, risk loosing group members on the way etc
etc... Only time I saw (in DAOC, but presume EQ is the same) a group
moving from one camp to another is when there's slow respawn
compared on killing power of the group or when mobs are too much
weak or powerfull compared to the group.

IMHO camping is result of fast static spawning with non wandering
around mobs. Why taking risks when you can stay in a safe spot and
pull xp when you are ready?

ciao
Filippo