[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Wed Jun 2 21:10:24 CEST 2004

From: Amanda Walker
> On May 31, 2004, at 9:52 PM, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> I'm not sure this is true. We are MUCH better at keeping
>> customer's attention than Disneyland is. When was the last time
>> someone spent 2000 hours at Disney properties?

> If it only cost $10/month, plenty of people would never leave.

And if it cost $10/month, it'd never get built because there'd be no
possibility of doing anything but hemmoraging money. An MMO budget
doesn't even come close to getting you a single "prestige" ride at
Disneyland. I feel confident in saying that every MMO in the world
averages more visits per guest than Disneyland. ;)

> It's also free.  Many free things are very popular.

And again, it cost nothing like Disneyland to build. If you're going
to bring money into the equation, rather than looking at pure
retention, I think it's only fair to constantly keep in mind that
the budget of an MMO is inconsequential compared to the budget for
Disneyland.

--matt