[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Ban selling of in-game items for real cash?

Kwon J. Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Jun 15 15:00:16 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Of course it's not. He just said he disliked banning practices
> from players. That kind of blanket statement needs poking at, and
> I was just pointing out that it's not true. Admin time is a
> cost/benefit analysis.  Some practices are worth admin time, some
> aren't, and it's going to differ world by world.

The original statement was from me, the blanket was intentional.

However, "dislike" is not an outright refusal.  It was imply a
statement that I would prefer to find alternative methods.

I'm sure we all "dislike" paying taxes for example...

> Well, because the developer may believe (and is probably right)
> that he will make more money by simply banning the permanent
> transfer unless you charge a sales tax so high that there's little
> point in even having the system in.

In the system I described, items are automatically removed from the
game over time unless the sales tax is paid.  I don't see any
problems with having a sales tax around 25-33% in this case... if
the players want to keep the item, they'll pay it, if not it will be
removed from the game.

Unless the tax is paid prior to using the item for each time it
changes hands, then it will eventually be removed from the game.

-- Kwon J. Ekstrom