[MUD-Dev] [NEWS] Warhammer Online Cancelled -- Why?

Luca Girardo girardo at ieee.org
Fri Jun 25 19:45:47 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> Without a good USP, even if they succeded in a release, they
> wouldn't be able to differentiate themselves them from their
> competitors. This makes survival much more difficult, since the
> game can't rely upon the USP to keep players around after their
> 30-day trial.

Hmm, what is a good USP? And good for whom? For the future customers
or for the investors/producers of the MMOG? And is the absence of a
clear USP a signal that we are having more evolutionary projects
then revolutionary ones? Looking at the list I see three MMOGs that
even if they have/had cleared USP, failed to reach a critical
customer basis (AC2 for example with an estimated pop of max 10-15K,
A tale in the desert with 7,063 subscribers (June 2004), Uru Live
(already cancelled)).  Now from my point of view USP could play a
role for a customer in the acquisition moment, but it has less
impact on the retention rate. And with the new trend of offering 14
days free trial before acquiring the game, I see USP losing more
influence on the customer retention/acquisition rate as more
products can be categorized as evolutionary products.

Luca