[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

Jester jester at futuremmorpg.org
Tue Mar 2 18:19:41 CET 2004

bje wrote
> On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 16:13, Jester wrote:

>>    1.  Character V is hunting bear in the woods :) when he is
>>    attacked and killed by character K

> What happens if you replace this with:

>   1.  Character K is hunting bear in the woods when he is attacked
>   by character V.  Character V, being incredibly weak, dies
>   immediately.

An aggressor has no recourse in this system

>   1. Character V is hunting bear in the woods when he is attacked
>   by character K.  Character K is careful to merely weaken V, thus
>   allowing the bear to finish V off.

(A) If the aggressor does more than a threshold amount of damage
(say 5%) then he is responsible until the player has naturally
recovered those HP, if the bear finishes V off before he heals, K is
a viable bounty target.

>   1. Character V is hunting bear in the woods when characters K,
>   L, and M swing out of the trees crying, 'Your money and your
>   life!'  V collapses in a barrage of arrows.

(B) The player has the option of placing a bounty on any character
attacks him, including killers from previous combats that fall into
scenario (A). So he could place bounties on K,L or M

My game has other mechanism for the rogues and robbers, but that is
external to the bounty hunting system and I can't discuss
it. Suffice it to say the BH system is more aimed at those killing
for out of character reasons i.e. PK'ers & griefers.

>   1.  Character V is hunting bear in the woods when character K
>   runs past shouting, 'Aaaarrggh!'.  Suddenly, a wild boar springs
>   forth in hot pursuit of K, impaling V in the process.

(C) In most well constructed games the boar is unlikely to switch
from K to V unless provoked (or K dies). This is the hardest of your
scenarios to deal with as K may genuinely not intend for V to be
caught up in his train.

V also has the option of running out of the way when he hears the
ruckus in the first place.

I'll give this one some thought.

> Basically, all to do with:

>>   "The bounty has to be approved by an independent npc (that
>>   simply reads the 'I was killed by:' data)"

> To maintain a roleplay view of the situation, perhaps the judge
> NPC should ask, 'Who caused your death?'

There are many ways to wrap the 'judge' mechanism up in a roleplay
view but they are implementation specific so as long as they prevent
abuse of the system, the rest are aesthetics.

Jester