[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

Jester jester at futuremmorpg.org
Tue Mar 2 17:24:39 CET 2004

From: Roy Sutton
> At 01:13 AM 2/27/2004, Jester wrote:

>> The full design theory is too large to post here so I have set up
>> a web page with the full details and workings as they stand. The
>> url is http://www.futuremmorpg.org/capture.asp Please have a read
>> through *before* making comments or suggestions regarding the
>> above scenario, as you may find your suggestion has already been
>> dealt with.

> I see a lot of problems with a justice system like this.  The most
> obvious exploit is that it allows people with a lot of money to
> bankrupt other players.

Not simply 'other players' only killers

> At least you removed the payback of the victim from your
> discussion as that would lead to even worse exploits.

If you read the Division of reparation section;

  http://www.futuremmorpg.org/capture.asp#division

you'll see its still there. It's there for a reason.

> Character A is a high-level someone that has angered a lot of
> people.  Character B decides he's going to take it out on A so he
> gets all his friends to chip in together to put together a massive
> bounty.

> They create a newbie account and have it go taunt, attack, insult
> character A until A kills the newbie (or perhaps he just engages
> player A with his character in non-consentual PvP but allows A to
> kill him).

Point by point;

  Taunting & insulting;

    as long as it is 'in character' then it's up to the players
    restraint, remember most in game chat systems have an 'ignore
    target' option or he could call player B out for a duel with is
    consenting PvP and not subject to the bounty system.

    If player B is personally offensive to the player as defined by
    the terms and agreement of the game then he can simply report
    player B to a GM and player B could face a ban or disciplinary
    action.

  Attacking;

    as soon as player B attacks he is the aggressor and cannot post
    a bounty, self defeating.

As long as the rules for what constitutes PKing are clearly laid out
for the player, such attempts at provocation should be very
transparent. If player A has the sense not to attack, then player
B's scheming is useless.

> They then go post the massive bounty on the character and
> gang-attack A.

Only those in the bounty hunter profession can take on bounties.
Unless all of player B's allies are already good BHs then the gang
attack is out.

> They get back their bounty in full from the capture and player A
> is out 5-10x whatever bounty the group gets together.

This is presuming character A has that much on him, if they place a
huge bounty they may not make their original bounty money back.

Thanks for your views

Jester