[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

MERLiiN merliin at ulven.com
Wed Mar 3 19:49:06 CET 2004

> Brian wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:37:16 -0000, Jester wrote:

>>> 1. After a character is resurrected they can choose to go along
>>> to the judicial court and place a bounty (paid up front) on
>>> their killer.

>> If it's non-consensual PvP, why should someone have to pay?  If
>> you're a newbie and just got PKed by a high level griefer, how
>> can you possibly afford to pay a bounty?

>> Instead, simply allow them to "report them to the authorities"
>> which then automatically generates a bounty.

This is the system that valhalla uses. The bounty increases the more
crimes you are reported for.  They use a lawful/law-protected flag
system, so you could get reported if a lawful mob saw you chop up
the mayor in the town square.

And as with any system it is exploitable, you could go into the
arena where death is penalty free, let yourself be killed,
decapitated and some newbie would hand in your head for money and
xp, thus gaining levels fast, without you loosing anything,

As far as I can tell, the only "fair" system I've seen is when large
numbers of less powerfull players gang up on a particular nasty pker
and spamkill him a few times.

MERLiiN