[MUD-Dev] Re: Quick question re: SSL

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 4 07:28:49 CET 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 11:07, szii at sziisoft.com wrote:

> You can get the IP address from the TCP stack on the client.  Then
> you can register "player X is at IP xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa" on the
> server.  You could also use the socket information (sockaddr_in
> structure) to determine that information and register it.

IP may be of limited use; what about players who are behind a
firewall doing NAT or PAT?  If my wife and I are both playing a game
from home, for example, we'll both show up with the same IP.  And,
in the case of telnet-based muds, several people can be playing from
one multi-user server.

Note that these two situations will also result in multiple players
being associated with the same MAC.

> I know that some Microsoft COM components are/were based off of
> the MAC address at one point.  When the system didn't have a MAC
> address then it just generated one since it wasn't actually on the
> network.

That doesn't follow, though.  Ethernet isn't the only sort of
network hookup.  A T1 interface doesn't have a MAC address; nor does
an internal DSL card, or an ATM adapter, or a Token Ring adapter...
(Some of these have another sort of hardware address, but not a MAC
address.)

> Of course, you could always just snoop the packet and see exactly
> what's being placed in that field. :)

If you're not on an ethernet, then quite possibly that field doesn't
even exist.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>