[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

Jester jester at futuremmorpg.org
Thu Mar 4 18:15:14 CET 2004

Firstly a quick thank you to everyone for continuing to help drive
the evolution of this system through their contributions it is
greatly appreciated.

As Matt Mihaly Has pointed out (and I agree with him) this is not a
complete 'justice' system, it was only ever intended to address a
single issue; that of non consenting player killing, and trying to
extend it to serve other purposes could either overcomplicate it to
the point of confusing the player, or stretch it so thin that if
fails to function in any respect.

Players will always find a way to 'grief' other players and so this
is more an exercise in containment, I feel that we are 80% of the
way to having a good solution to wanton PKing, and other issues of
justice should be developed independently to address the specifics
and problems of each crime.

For example; in a world where commonly manufactured items are
identical how do you prove a particular character stole your dagger?
(please don't post RE this example as it is a rhetorical example)
This a problem specific to that crime, it may well be that the
bounty hunting system could work for many crimes, but I for one
would rather get it right for just one first, before considering it
for other purposes.

On a side note the web page

  http://www.futuremmorpg.org/capture.asp)

was updated yesterday to include possible fixes to various issues
and exploits.

Jester
http://www.futuremmorpg.org