[MUD-Dev] Character Restraint & Capture (bounty hunting)

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Fri Mar 5 15:07:07 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 04:19, Jester wrote:

> An aggressor has no recourse in this system

Yes, sorry, I missed the implication of "attacked and killed" in the
first step.

> (A) If the aggressor does more than a threshold amount of damage
> (say 5%) then he is responsible until the player has naturally
> recovered those HP, if the bear finishes V off before he heals, K
> is a viable bounty target.

> (B) The player has the option of placing a bounty on any character
> attacks him, including killers from previous combats that fall
> into scenario (A). So he could place bounties on K,L or M

In other words, could you change the definition "attacked and killed
by K" to, "killed after having been attacked by K with more than n%
damage caused, recently?"

Your definition of recently is "before that damage has naturally
healed off."  My definition would probably be "within the combat
that caused the victim's death," because I think I'd find that
easier to implement and understand. :)

The danger potentially introduced is that care needs to be taken in
determining the aggressor, or else you introduce a grief whereby K
induces V to attack them, then places a bounty on them.  It's easily
avoided: just watch out for acts that cause the victim to attack
you. It's also not a direct problem with the proposed system, but it
might bear mentioning in the proposal.

[snip (C): K is chased by mob M past victim V, who M kills]

> I'll give this one some thought.

That was the intent.  As you say, griefing of this nature can be
prevented through other methods, rather than trying to establish
guilt. After all, V could be deliberately placing themself into M's
path!

It looks like you've managed to address the concerns I raised,

--
bje