[good] [MUD-Dev] N00b question

Manuel Lanctot pacu at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 10 03:18:49 CET 2004

On March 9, 2004 06:13 pm, Matthew Turland wrote:

> This list appears to be more associated with the structuring of
> MUDs as logical systems, and though that is also an interest of
> mine, my first question is of a somewhat different nature.

> Does anyone know of any functional MUD server written in PHP that
> is still in active development? I'm having a bit of trouble
> finding one and was actually considering writing one myself as a
> personal project.  I know I'd essentially be reinventing the
> wheel, but I'd like to do it sheerly for learning the ins and outs
> of how one would function.

Do you mean a web-based MUD or a telnet-based one? If it's the
latter, you will need to use the socket library but I'm not sure
this kind of thing is PHP's strong point. For a web-based MUD, I
think it's a possible thing to do... I'm currently writing a MUD
engine in Python, which is also a scripting language and there are
already a few engines in that language. Check out the Mud-Dev-L
archive, someone posted a few links related to MUDs in PHP:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2003Q3/msg00382.php

--
Manuel Lanct=F4t