[MUD-Dev] Thief class (was: RE: MUD-Dev Digest, Vol 11, Issue 23)

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsfinance.it
Mon May 3 14:55:02 CEST 2004

From:: Alex Chacha

> I don't remember any successful game where thieves were able to
> steal from players directly and retain any appreciable playerbase
> (stealing from NPCs is done in many games with varied risk).  Such
> games no doubt exist, but how big is the playerbase?.

Ultima Online is one of them.

A thief can steal from other players one item a time (also money is
an item).

Since start a thief (while robbing) was marked as a criminal and
could be killed (and item taken back along with any other
possession). This criminal flag was lasting a couple minutes or
so. If a thief is seen in town while robbing or flagged, anyone
could call guards to have him killed without having to kill him
directly. (towns are seen as almost safe place).

For this reason all players on this game had tendency to try to stay
2-4 tiles away from any other player while doing bank business.

This tendency was so famous that was even created a song:
http://www.digiphobia.com/ultimasongs/html/bank.html

If interested on all parody songs of Ultima Online (all great
quality):

  http://www.digiphobia.com/ultimasongs/html/songs.html

Then after don't remember how many years UO changed and world got
basically duplicated into two almost identical facets. One evil
(where pvp and thiefing was allowed). The other is good and
pvp/thief isn't allowed.

ciao