R: [MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Ghilardi Filippo ghilardi at dsfinance.it
Tue May 4 10:20:18 CEST 2004

From: Threshold RPG
> On 26 Apr 2004, at 10:59, Amanda Walker wrote:
>> On Apr 26, 2004, at 7:29 AM, cruise wrote:

>>> Several games, with more on the horizon, are offering the much
>>> simpler "use it or lose it" skill system - what you use improves,
>>> what you don't degrades.

>>> So if you find the longsword isn't working for you, just pick up
>>> a shortsword and wave it around, and gradually your skills will
>>> change.

>> DAoC and SWG have approximations to this, with multiply-flavored
>> XP that improve different sets of skills.

> Huh? DAoC has NOTHING like this.

> When you spend points that's it. They are spent. The only way to
> make changes is to buy very expensive "respec stones" or farm them
> from uber- mobs like the 1 per server/realm Dragon.

> For a long time (well over a year) there was absolutely NO way to
> change your skill point expenditures. You couldn't even fix
> accidents like clicking something more than once accidentally.

I agree.  The description depicts Ultima Online.

In UO you gain skills by use (each use has a chance to raise it by a
bit. As get higher this chance decrease taking longer).

Each skill is a percentage of your proficency at it (0-100%) and
there's a limit on total sum among all skills. As you reach cap,
when a skill raise another decrease by same amount.

Stats follow a similar principle. Depending on what skill you use
you may get more points on stats. Once sum is capped, as one rise
another decrease.

At beginning in this game wasn't possible to decide what has to
decrease. Players complained as sometime you got lower in something
you want to keep while getting better in something else (and not
decreasing in a skill they didn't wanted anymore). OSI (Origin, the
producer) changed design to allow players set locks on skills and so
decide what could be changed.

In SWG there's a different aproach but still quite similar. There's
skills trees and to activate each piece you need the proper
amount/type of experience gained using that kind of skill. Amount of
skill tree active for each player is negotiated by a cap so none
can't be proficient in everything in a given moment (but can over
time if they surrender some skills to be able to use others)

ciao ciao