[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Tue May 4 22:14:19 CEST 2004

From: John Buehler
> Matt Mihaly writes:

>> Players want to be somewhat innovative. Most will never
>> be. Designing toward the minority that can be is a poor
>> idea. (That's not a comment on your actual idea, just the
>> justification for it.)

> I keep thinking about the 'innovation' of working through the
> challenges of puzzle and card games, and how that level of
> creative challenge can be worked into a MMORPG.  In the current
> crop of graphical games I don't encounter any challenge at all,
> except for those of organizing information so that I can
> efficiently pound on the right monsters for the right cash and
> prizes.

What about Shadowbane? (I don't play it and don't know anything
about it, mind you) or Planetside? Or if it's puzzles you want, why
not Puzzle Pirates?

>> If you assume that the game is just about bashing and leveling,
>> at least. That's hardly true in many muds, particularly in text.

> I was only considering the big graphical MUDs.  If there is an
> element of entertainment beyond bashing and leveling in them, I've
> yet to encounter it.  >From what I've heard about Achaea, there's
> certainly far more to that game.  Unfortunately, I'm not a text
> MUDer.

There's far more to a lot of virtual worlds. Achaea, Aetolia, and
Imperian (our three games) are not unique in that respect, by a long
shot. Granted, graphical MUDs to date are pretty shallow in the
non-bashing end, especially regarding anything to do with story, but
I'm sure they'll improve. The earliest text muds were pretty basic
too.

And anyway, how about stuff like Realm vs. Realm battles in DAoC or
sieges in Lineage, etc?

--matt