[MUD-Dev] Playing catch-up with levels

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Thu May 6 12:48:43 CEST 2004

From: John Buehler
> Matt Mihaly writes:

>> What about Shadowbane? (I don't play it and don't know anything
>> about it, mind you) or Planetside? Or if it's puzzles you want,
>> why not Puzzle Pirates?

> The "level of creative challenge" is the key here.  Multiplayer
> games have the potential to bring together many different types of
> entertainment, each with a different dimension of creative
> challenge to it.  Shadowbane explores the experience of group
> versus group PvP.  Puzzle Pirates explores the experience of group
> solving of word puzzles.  I'm not familiar with Planetside.

I think that's doing Puzzle Pirates a disservice. It has some of the
best PvP combat around, and it actually takes skill, unlike most
graphical MUD's PvP. There's also quite a variety of puzzles.

> What I find in games is not a sense of creative challenge, but one
> of figuring out what the designers want me to do.  It's a
> challenge to be sure, and there are LOTS of players who find it
> entertaining, but it's not a creative challenge.

So go play a text MUD with roleplaying in it. That's where you're
going to find what you're looking for. It's been out there for well
over a decade.

--matt