More on levels, was Re: [MUD-Dev] What is an RPG?

Jeff Fuller jeff at originmail.com
Mon May 17 09:19:13 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> I disagree with your disagreement.

> While I agree than some adults play "Keeping up with the joneses"
> (KUWTJ ), my perception is that fewer adults are into this than
> teenagers. (Your perception of this may depend upon where you live
> and who you know, and your experiences as a teenager. I have no
> idea where one would find authentic statistics on this matter.)

As an adult of 34 years with many adult friends(14 off the top of my
head) who play MMORPG's, I must disagree with your disagreement (of
his disagreement!).

I played EQ for 4 years, DAOC for 1, I saw the same attitudes
towards loot and money from the adults as I did from the kids. The
only differnece was the way they expressed it.

Keep in mind real life is not what occurs in a game and it's not
easy to apply real life reactions to the gaming environment. Peoples
darksides come out in the anonimity of the multiplayer game
environment. An issue you would consider trivial in real life,
suddenly becomes a challenge to your honor in a game. Honor your
willing to defend even if it means dying in the process. Reactions
that rarely take place in real life, where many more adults will not
bother with petty disagreements. Because the consequences of these
behaviors are not the same as they are in real life.

Some of the most mild mannered people I've known in real life,
become l337 d00ds when they log in. They steal camps, kills, and
loots. They taught fellow players, disrupt others game play, and in
complain when they were passed up on the latest loot or flag. I've
also seen the most outspoken of people also be extremely
timid. Since to many these are role playing games, they are
generally going to assume some role other then the one they are
currently in.

Jeff