[MUD-Dev] Natural Language Generation

Eric Rhea eric at enkanica.com
Fri May 21 11:06:11 CEST 2004

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Tiago Carita wrote:

> Any one knows examples of games that use natural language
> generation for NPCs??? And if yes was it convincing??

IMHO:

  I experimented with Natural Language Generation in various MUDs
  and various online MMOGs over the last few years using systems
  such as ALICE, custom language mixers that used preset "what to
  say" logs, and even various auction models with NPCs selling to
  one another. My own personal view is that these systems are a
  waste, and are about as interesting as fractal generated terrain
  (about as attention capturing as long).

  In my own view, realistic NPCs get in the way of actual
  gameplay. NPCs armed with Natural Language like apps remind me of
  telemarketers. They aren't your friends, they respond within a
  scripted range, and they suck.

Examples of games featuring this I know not. These are observations
from the flipside of the fence & YMMV. :-)

  Alice: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=alice

-Eric