[MUD-Dev] DGN: Rooms, Directions, etc. - any alternatives?

Otis Viles drey at speakeasy.org
Mon May 24 12:04:35 CEST 2004

Skane2004 at aol.com wrote:

> I realize that just about every mud uses the direction system of
> north, south, east, west, up, down -- but are there any
> alternatives?  One of the common complaints I hear about are that
> people don't like having to memorize cardinal directions from
> recall to get places -- or new mudders have a hard time getting
> where they want to go because they don't have the directions
> memorized...  Are there any muds that don't use NSEWUD?  If so,
> how does their system work, and how do they define where a
> character's location is?  It seems more realistic to be able to
> manipulate (or at least see) what's in the rooms around you...is
> that implemented anywhere?  How does it work?  I'm just trying to
> think outside of the box here...any suggestions?

I believe it's mostly MOOs, MUCKs and MUSHes that do this but some
MUDs tie a keyword to each exit so you can preserve NSEWUD but can
also have "go door", "enter portal", etc. You're just changing the
exit info from {direction, room vnum} data to {keyword, room vnum}.

--
"Lag happens, then you die." -- Drey
( Visit Underworld Dreams MUD, dreams.daestroke.com, port 3000 )