[MUD-Dev] DGN: Rooms, Directions, etc. - any alternatives?

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Mon May 24 17:16:42 CEST 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004 Skane2004 at aol.com wrote:

> I realize that just about every mud uses the direction system of
> north, south, east, west, up, down -- but are there any
> alternatives?  One of the common complaints I hear about are that
> people don't like having to memorize cardinal directions from
> recall to get places -- or new mudders have a hard time getting
> where they want to go because they don't have the directions
> memorized...  Are there any muds that don't use NSEWUD?  If so,
> how does their system work, and how do they define where a
> character's location is?  It seems more realistic to be able to
> manipulate (or at least see) what's in the rooms around you...is
> that implemented anywhere?  How does it work?  I'm just trying to
> think outside of the box here...any suggestions?

There are MU*s which do implement a sort of "taxi service" or
location names for teleport. There are also MU*s which allow players
to see into nearby rooms. I've heard of very few combat MU*s which
do this, but it's common enough in social arenas, where a global set
of names can be used for possible destinations. Note that most MU*s
allow builders to set the names of exits they create.

Why not implement a recall spell which not only recalls to a set
mark, but which marks the room recalled from?  If the player uses
recall where their mark is set, after recalling to it but before
removing or re-setting it, they are sent back to the room they
recalled from.  Sort of like the +ic/+ooc zone teleports on many
RP-oriented MU*s, or the Town Portal spell in Diablo I & II.

Of course, if you really want to think outside the box, let players
set names for rooms and teleport to their named locations.  Use
'teleport set home' to designate a room as 'home' and later
'teleport [to] home' to return there; perhaps one's skill level
would determine how many locations can be memorized this
way. Perhaps even have no way to transfer between certain zones
unless someone leads the player there so they can set a teleport
name - this would be a good way to implement spiritual or
Immortal-owned domains.

--
Zach Collins