[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Online adventure games

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Tue May 25 08:55:01 CEST 2004

>From Malcom W. Tester II:

> random combination of these modules create the quest.  When a
> player starts a quest for the first time, they are assigned one of
> these random combinations, which they keep forever.  So the best
> of friends may end up with 2 quests with the same goal, but
> different methods of solution.

The whole post is filled with interesting concepts that I'll have to
ponder over. Two thoughts came to my mind right away though:

What if the friends wanted to work together on the same quest? You'd
need a way for them to partner up so their quests would both require
the same solutions. (Or is there a way around this?)

What is the purpose of having levels? Is it to keep players from
entering portions of the world until they have "done their time" on
the levelling treadmill (which is also a way to reduce cheating)? Or
to provide a numeric goal? As a metric to compare two competing
players? Or as a mechanism to gradually introduce new game-design
elements? (Such are more complex spells.) Or to force them to make
interesting decisions about resource (xp) allocation into skills?
Something else? All of the above?

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au