[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Online adventure games

Tracy Lee ayerik at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 13:36:16 CEST 2004

I'm actually on a team creating a game that will be an on-line
adventure game, though there will be drawbacks to this set-up as
well.

Quoted from our webpage:  (http://www.geocities.com/dagolar/Skure.html

  Skure - THG 2 - The Dead World takes some of my own ideas and adds
  them together with bits and pieces from other games, mostly RPGs
  and the original Final Fantasy - The Hunting Grounds. Shining
  Force (for the Sega Genesis) sparked the idea of the battle system
  and Rings of Power (also another game for the Sega Genesis)
  sparked the idea for the atmosphere. Ultimately, it is the BYOND
  engine that will allow this game to be played. If you wish to play
  this game, you will have to familiarize yourself with BYOND -
  www.byond.com

  It is designed in such a way that BMs can use the map of Skure and
  some of the background and story of the areas to design their own
  campaigns. It leaves a lot of room for free design within the
  structure of the game. BMs, however, will have to be well-versed
  in BYOND. As groups are formed, battles will undoubtedly ensue,
  and BMs, Captains, Lieutentants, and entire teams will seek to
  destroy their opposition. It can become quite involved.

  I originally designed Skure to be played on paper, but it was too
  difficult to build boards and to really get enough characters to
  play (one party can consist of as much as 16 active characters and
  16 reserves, for a total of 32 on a team). It was then moved to
  chatroom format where it survived for a few months in early
  2001. It also had a webpage once upon a time that had a bit of the
  information from the first Skure (this is essentially Skure 3, all
  things considered). I realized that the chatroom format was just
  too difficult to do real-time play on the computer. I abandoned
  the game for several months.

  At the end of the summer of 2002, I embarked on making Final
  Fantasy - The Hunting Grounds on the BYOND engine. This was an
  expanded version of Skure in a completely different format, Final
  Fantasy style. We formed a team called The Brotherhood. This team
  will continue on to produce and run this game. This game is now
  under the jurisdiction of a friend of mine and is still under
  modification (The first version of FF-THG was completed in early
  2003).

  Once I passed on FF-THG, I decided a month later to return to this
  website and combine the information from the website with the
  engine of BYOND, and here we are - Skure 3. Sometimes I call it
  Skure 2. Oh well.. It's been a long road and I hope it keeps
  going. -Dagolar

I am now webmaster for the project, as well as one of two managers
helping with production.  Dagolar, the original designer, is still
very active, the rest of us have been helping for about two weeks
now.  We've got a team of about 9-10 people right now.

We're going to set it up so that it runs lile a pencil-and-paper
RPG, but the game engine will take care of the mechanics like
rolling the dice, tracking damage, and keeping track of who's turn
it is.  It's a graphical interface, so players will be able to
"visualize" what's going on.  We've done of a scrimmage and one of
an RP reckoning, though further gameplay is being suspended until we
can complete the game.

Eventually, I'd like to see the game ported out of the BYOND engine,
and have everything all original for it, but at this time, we don't
have people with the skills to do this -- our team is primarily
newbies to game administration, though we've all been playing online
games for quite awhile.

Tracy Lee
Ayerik/Xeszmik