[MUD-Dev] DESIGN: Online adventure games

Malcolm W. Tester II malcolm.tester at comcast.net
Tue May 25 22:37:21 CEST 2004

J C Lawrence wrote:

> Which exposes the problem:

>   The primary people that outlawing the behaviour will change
>   are those who wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

> Its a parallel to the old saw:

>   When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Exactly true.  Unless you implement some means of registration or
pay-to-play-per-character, it's generally more harmful to those who
don't do it in the first place, than those who do.  And being the
type of driver the mud uses, it'll never be pay-to-play.  There are
other methods to try to track people like that, but they involve
many many man-hours of administration time, and lots of log files.
So it's not something I think I'm going to worry about a whole lot.
If someone gets their kicks by playing my game with multiple
accounts, so be it.  I'll be flattered that they like it that much.
I'd rather focus more on those who abuse the system and ruin the
content, such as quest cheating.  Which is something that has its
own number of man-hours and administration to deal with.  But that,
hopefully, is where my quest system will help nullify cheating.

-Malc