[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Paolo Piselli ppiselli at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 07:32:08 CEST 2004

--- Amanda Walker <amanda at alfar.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, I don't think "believable AI" is easy either,
> and I've been following that field

Along those lines, you guys should take a look at I company I used
to work for during the dot-com boom: Zoesis Studios (zoesis.com -
check the "products & services" section for the "pearl demon" demo).
These guys are doing some pretty hefty AI (realtime hybrid
rule-based/emotional system, with some freakish behavior and
animation blending [the scripting feels very LISPish]) to get their
believable agents to interact in even a simplisticly human way.

>From what I understand they are currently working on NLG (emotive
speech syntesis, not just text generation) and more advanced
animation.  They are also VERY interested in licensing this stuff
once it is ready, although I'm not sure how pluggable it will be for
MMP environments.

If you want a glimpse at their earlier research, you should check
out the papers written by this group before they went commercial -
check out citeseer for papers on the "Oz Project" at CMU.

-Paolo

=====
Paolo Piselli
ppiselli at yahoo.com