[MUD-Dev] believable NPCs (was Natural Language Generation)

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon May 31 17:49:55 CEST 2004

On May 27, 2004, at 4:54 PM, Freeman, Jeff wrote:

> People typically don't visit virtual worlds, though, they live in
> them.

"Typically?"  I don't think it's even close, even for powergamers
who don't have to work for a living.

> 'Course, always in motion the future is, and all that.  But you
> don't get to buy a house and setup a shop in Disney Land.

OK, let's tweak the analogy a bit, then: consider a Renaissance
Faire (probably a better analogy than the SCA, since they are
for-profit).  No professional actors, no high salaries, lots of
attention payed to character and context, and much more engaging,
broad-spectrum fun than any current virtual world could dream of
producing.

> I think we'll see robots replace the human-actors at Disney World
> before we see human-actors replacing the bots in MMO's.

Hmm.  Seems to me that Disney's going *away* from robots and towards
increased use of humans, actually...

Amanda Walker