[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Matt Mihaly matt at ironrealms.com
Sat Oct 2 09:00:14 CEST 2004

Miroslav Silovic wrote:
> Matt Mihaly wrote:

>>> Well, many MUSHes are quite successful, and those don't have
>>> grind.

>> Successful in what sense? They've managed to give a free service
>> away to some people? ;)

> Well, I measure success in terms of traffic generated. If the game
> makes you spend (for example) $10/month and 50 hours on a game,
> and your hour is worth >$1, how is that more of a success (as a
> /game/, rather than as an enterprise) than if it only makes you
> spend 50 hours?

Ok. The question still stands. Where are these MUSHes that are quite
successful? I grant that 'successful' is a highly relative term
too. I wouldn't expect them to compare to Everquest. But even
comparing the text MUSHes to other text games, there are none that I
can think of that qualify as 'quite successful'. I'd be happy to be
educated here though.

> To make it absolutely clear, I don't believe there is such a thing
> as a free service, if you're putting up an online game.

I happen to agree here on some level. The whole argument in the text
mud community over whether MUD <X> is free or not is silly. None of
them are as they all require you spend your time.

--matt