[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Damion Schubert ubiq at zenofdesign.com
Sun Oct 3 01:19:47 CEST 2004

> Will Jennings wrote:
>> Mike Rozak wrote:

>>> - A resource that cannot be farmed by macros. (Yes, XP is a
>>> resource, just like money or iron ore.) Combat, at least for
>>> now, cannot be played by a macro. I doubt any game hands out
>>> general XP for something that is macroable.

>> Every MUD in which combat is game-like (as opposed to
>> improvisational-theatre-like) is macro-able, and most have been
>> macro-ed.  Game mechanics make a poor captcha.  I would be
>> interested to learn of a repetitive, game-mechanical activity
>> that has survived contact with more than a few hundred players
>> without being macro-ed.

Combat solo in these games is macroable, but that's also where
combat in these games isn't much fun.  Our combat systems are
(hopefully) designed to require groups to work together, and the
human element of your groupmates occasionally screwing up or being
surprised is often what the players react to.  We design our combat
systems to be simple because the existence of other people with
other abilities and other roles makes it complex.

--d