[MUD-Dev] Shift in time

Arnau Rosselló Castelló arroscas at inf.upv.es
Sun Oct 3 12:16:16 CEST 2004

Today is a good day to de-lurk.

On dj, 2004-09-30 at 07:52, Mike Rozak wrote:

> you're working on, there's not much I can add. If you asked
> questions about text-to-speech, speech recognition, rendering and

I'd like to ask, then, about phoneme recognition and synthesis. My
idea is to translate a voice input from the into a string of
phonemes(with pitch, speed and volume hopefully), but not
translating it to words. Such a stream could be sent to other
players, and sinthesized with a distinct voice for every
sex/race/whatever. You could also swap phonemes in the stream to
create accents and/or unintelligible languages. These are off the
top of my head, I'm sure there are many more interesting things that
can be done with it.

Would such a thing be feasible?  How much bandwidth would the
phoneme stream need(well i could time myself saying something and
then count... but maybe someone has more elaborate aproximations)?
How could such a system deal with ambient noise, or tapping the mic?
Is there any king of public project(i know about festival only),
creating these kind of programs? papers maybe?

I've searched on my(partial) log of mud-dev, but i've only found
talk about the design side of this.

Thanks for any answer in advance,

Arnau