[MUD-Dev] intellectual history

Mike otyugh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 5 16:50:40 CEST 2004

"T.L. Taylor" <tltaylor at itu.dk> wrote:

> Any replies, on or off-list, would be most appreciated. I'd be
> especially interested in hearing how people trace their own
> biographies on these things. I'm just trying to work out in my own
> head how I'd tell the story of VE (including MMOG) development and
> figure this is as good a place as any to kick the question around
> at.

Fellow gamers,

I've been just lurking on the list for a couple years, but this is a
question to which I can at least provide some direction. To help get
a feel for this question and others of this sort, by all means check
out

  http://www.cyber1.org/

and register (let us know you are from this mailing list).  Take a
look at the half dozen or so dungeon games circa 1976-1980, like
zavatar, 2avatar, 0moria, labyrinth, etc. It will give you a
snapshot of where things were at 25 years ago in our wonderful
little world.

Avatar is still, imho, as playable if not more than most modern
games.

Mike Cochran MD
Stanford