[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Oct 14 09:23:55 CEST 2004

Brett Bibby wrote:

> For example, if I want to roleplay a female as a RL male, I
> wouldn't be able to join any guilds that require voice if I wanted
> to maintain my roleplaying.  And what about immersion in the
> world? If I'm supposed to be an old battle-hardened Orc, or
> someone with a known accent, and I'm a young female, it would be
> impossible to actually roleplay.

I partially disagree with this. Try downloading and playing the
following two files:

  http://www.mxac.com.au/m3d/VoiceTransBefore.wav
  http://www.mxac.com.au/m3d/VoiceTransAfter.wav

While the algorithm I'm using to convert my voice from male to
female isn't perfect, it's acceptable. Certainly no one would ever
guess my original voice. While attempting to create a male-to-female
voice transformation I also wound up with a male-to-small girl, and
I've previously generated male-to-teenager. Going from male/female
to orc is pretty easy... because no-one knows what an orc sounds
like.

One thing the algorithm can't do is change my american english to
scottish english. Although people can affect their own accents.

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au