[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Russ Whiteman russw99 at swbell.net
Sat Oct 16 19:06:54 CEST 2004

Brett Bibby wrote:

> For example, if I want to roleplay a female as a RL male, I
> wouldn't be able to join any guilds that require voice if I wanted
> to maintain my roleplaying.  And what about immersion in the
> world? If I'm supposed to be an old battle-hardened Orc, or
> someone with a known accent, and I'm a young female, it would be
> impossible to actually roleplay.

I find it odd that people keep bringing up this argument...when it's
a complete red herring.  For the last ~30 years or so, we've managed
to roleplay sitting around a table, where not only could you hear a
mismatched voice, but you could SEE that young female who was
playing the orc.  It never stopped us from roleplaying, nor did it
detract -nearly- as much from the game as having to stop playing in
order to talk does.  IMO, voice comm built directly into the game
would be the single biggest improvement we could make for improving
playability.