[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Corey Cauble ccauble at pacblue.com
Wed Oct 27 20:56:19 CEST 2004

--------

Mike Rozak said:=20

> In speech, you could keep an N-day log of the speech on HD. An
> "I'm being harassed" button press by a player would reference (or
> copy) the recent audio recordings. You could even have the
> player's computer do speech recognition on it and transmit the
> transcription, letting your text filters look for swearwords (SR
> cannot be gotten around by using dood-speak). Why would this not
> work?

Muting options would be useful in this system as well. Something
configurable in the setup to auto mute other players accept those in
your list. This would allow people to create semi-private channels
and effectively remove any chance of verbal abuses from other
players.=20

There should always be a way to mute individuals on your channel to
give players the ability to control the verbal harassment of other
players. I think this is more viable for controlling harassment than
server or provider monitoring as suggested here, not that it is a
bad process to have.

I saw an interesting piece about this topic from the designers of
Disney's Toon Town Online. They ended up opting for the prerecorded
list of verbal and text shortcuts to completely secure the children
from possible exposure to inappropriate language.