[MUD-Dev] DGN: Effect of voice chat on game design

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Sun Oct 31 00:52:08 CEST 2004

Amanda Walker wrote:

>  All of the time I spend gaming (in any games, not just MMO games)
>  I am either wearing earphones or have the sound turned off
>  completely.  Whether it's late at night and I don't want to
>  bother my housemates, during my lunch our at work, in an airport
>  waiting for a plane, or whatever, the last thing I want is to
>  have to talk to play.  It would be even worse than people walking
>  around in public talking on their cell phones.

I was just thinking that a problem with voice chat is that you HAVE
to wear a microphone, usually the headset kind with the earphones. I
have been wearing one for 3 hours a day lately to record more
sentences for my text-to-speech voice. I HATE wearing the
contraption because it hurts my ears (despite its super-soft foamy
ear-covers), attaches wires to me, and is hot (a problem faced only
in the tropics).

How many users (not participating in raids) would be willing to wear
a headset? (Or am I the only person that gets annoyed with the
things?) A phased array microphone can be substituted for a headset,
but they cost $1000+ the last time I checked; they may be cheaper
now.

Of course, a headset microphone isn't nearly as bad as 3D VR
glasses. VR glasses are not only heavy and hot, but they make me
nauseus. I'd really love to play a game with them, but not at the
expense of feeling sick for the rest of the day. (By the way, has
anyone tried the 3D flat-screen displays? How well do they work?)

Maybe the solution to slow typing isn't voice chat, but
word/sentence completion...

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au