[MUD-Dev] SOC DGN: AC like alligiance system

Artur Biesiadowski abies at adres.pl
Thu Sep 2 21:24:00 CEST 2004

Matthew Rick wrote:

> My idea was to make the system a two way street, giving "prestige"
> points to the lord for each vassal he has, and giving each vassal
> a small prestige bonus, based on the prestige of the vassal's
> lord. The player level would also supplement prestige, so your
> prestige would be determined by an equation like the following:

>   prestige = level + a*vassals'_prestige + b*lord's_prestige

You cannot use just player prestige for vassal/lord part - result
would be dependent on direction you count it and could just get
bigger and bigger. I would suggest passing only
level+a*sum(vassals'_shared_prestige) as vassals'_shared_prestige
and add b*lord's_prestige only for world prestige score (not for one
you give to your vassals/liege).

> Prestige would be used for such things as who can hold titles to
> land, to who can run for public office, to how much npc merchants
> charge you for wares (higher prestige characters will get a
> discount).

Maybe they should pay _more_ if they have higher prestige ? Higher
the prestige, more classy/elegant things you have to buy - even if
they have same in-game-statistics. You could go further and allow
players to modify perceived prestige by wearing clothes/using things
above/below their current class.  This would also give easy
indiciation of prestige to other players - if he looks good, he is
probably somebody important :)

>   Problem:

>     If you have a large number of vassals, it doesn't matter how
>     low prestige they are.

Either make it logarithmic scale as Hans-Henric suggested, or sort
vassals prestige and apply decreasing modifier to each vassal in
row. For example, for first 10 'a' would equal to 0.2, for next 10
0.15, next 20 0.10, next 50 0.05, next 100 0.02 etc, etc. To make
things more interesting, 'b' could be in proportion to 'a' you give
to your liege - so being more influential would also mean more of
your lord's prestige will come on you.

>   Problem:

>     Vassals could end up being more prestigous than their lord.

This can always happen that guildmembers could be higher level than
guildmaster (unless you will require guildmaster to be top level of
your game for example). Same goes for prestige. You might want to
add some kind of minigame here - let's say that if your prestige is
twice of your lord's, you can 'take-over' all his vassals. They will
be able to change their allegiance later if they want, but it would
require a bit of effort - and probably most people would stay with
you, as you are a stronger leader ;)

Artur