[MUD-Dev] PVP and perma-death

HRose hrose at tiscali.it
Mon Sep 6 02:25:29 CEST 2004

Ola wrote:

> In a MUD you learn from other players. The designer should make
> sure that other players want to help you... However, if I have no
> interest in those competencies then why on earth would I want to
> listen to your "teaching"? It would be better for me to team up
> with some dude who I enjoy to socialize with and who have those
> competencies which I lack... when I need it.

> I think you focus too much on a single player design.

Yes, in fact that's totally my perspective and I finid interesting
what you say about using the players as an "alternate" way to teach
the game.  Both are useful. When you join a mmorpg it's extremely
important that you learn how to play with other players but I think
that my "single player strategy" must exactly lead, as a "bridge",
to the socialization.

The single player approach helps you with the basic
difficulties. Like moving, using the interface, learn the ruleset,
learn your gameplay.  Then, after this process, you can still use
the approach to lead the player "by hand" to more complex systems
like questing, managing more harder combat encounters etc..  THEN,
you can lead the player to really access to the VW. Where the
interaction becomes important.

As I write I always start from concrete examples. World of Warcraft
is a concrete mmorpg that feels exactly like a single player
game. Accessibility porblems for it can obviously definitely be
solved with my suggested approach.

> I don't really believe in pitting players up againts each other
> based on some random selection process. It might work better if
> you split players up in groups along real national boundaries, or
> gender...

My "dream mmorpg" is based on this. There are two main factions (at
release, plus one to come later) that are bound to geographical
zones. But then players can use a specific aligment system to build
guild houses that can become totally undependent from the hardcoded
two factions and build their own interactions. Becoming concretely
another "custom" faction.

-HRose / Abalieno