[MUD-Dev] PVP and perma-death

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Thu Sep 9 00:40:24 CEST 2004

HRose <hrose at tiscali.it> writes:

> The single player approach helps you with the basic
> difficulties. Like moving, using the interface, learn the ruleset,
> learn your gameplay.  Then, after this process, you can still use
> the approach to lead the player "by hand" to more complex systems
> like questing, managing more harder combat encounters etc..  THEN,
> you can lead the player to really access to the VW. Where the
> interaction becomes important.

One should of course try to make newbie experience as smooth as
possible. Most MMOs appears to have flawed user interfaces, so there
are lots of improvements to be made there. I think I've suggested
some years ago to limit the number of actions and streamline the
design. I.e. you can get far with just "get", "look", "use", "move",
"say". A newbie should at least not have to deal with more than
that, until he has teamed up with someone and share his troubles
with a new friend.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/