[MUD-Dev] DGN/TECH: exploiting/hacking in MMOGs - sources of info?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad olag at ifi.uio.no
Fri Sep 10 21:04:59 CEST 2004

<elina.m.koivisto at nokia.com> writes:

> issues: what kinds of exploits/hacks are common, why and how those
> are possible. I tried to search for articles and literature, but
> with very little luck - would be nice to know if there is already
> some research done on this

I guess you mean specific to MMOs... No references, but some general
that are difficult to prevent would be:

  1. username/password theft

     - social engineering (tell people you need their password to
     help them)

     - spoof (present website/window-from-trojan that looks offical)

     - snooping (listen to key-presses, trojan)

  2. identity theft

     - taking a handle that is very close to another person,
     misleading that persons social circle.

  3. DOS

     - getting IP by peer-2-peer services (webcam etc)

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/