[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Michael Hartman michael at thresholdrpg.com
Tue Sep 21 20:44:22 CEST 2004

Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to Matt Mihaly:

>>> That's all. I always had a good reason to kill them.

>> Why is killing a mob in order to fulfill a quest to get xp a
>> 'good reason' but skipping the middle bit and just killing a mob
>> to get xp not a 'good reason'?

> If you still hope for some semblance of meaning from the last
> three letters of "mmoRPG", then yes, having a good reason to kill
> a mob is important :)

Killing it because it poses a threat to the local populace, or
because you want to improve your combat ability, or because you
enjoy "hunting" is not good enough?

If you just want to put this in terms of RP, why is it inconceivable
to let the player decide what types of things his/her character
would want to kill? Why is it not RP to let the player decide why
his character wants to kill things?

I'm not saying quests are not good. Quests are awesome. But it is no
less artificial to reward xp for a quest with the goal of "KILL 20
GOBLINS" than it is to reward xp for killing 20 goblins.

--
Michael Hartman
President and CEO, Threshold Virtual Environments, Inc.