[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Will Jennings will.jennings at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 01:13:19 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

[Experience points are...]

> - A resource that cannot be farmed by macros. (Yes, XP is a
> resource, just like money or iron ore.) Combat, at least for now,
> cannot be played by a macro. I doubt any game hands out general XP
> for something that is macroable.

Every MUD in which combat is game-like (as opposed to
improvisational-theatre-like) is macro-able, and most have been
macro-ed.  Game mechanics make a poor captcha.  I would be
interested to learn of a repetitive, game-mechanical activity that
has survived contact with more than a few hundred players without
being macro-ed.

The only difficulties are in hardware: console MUDs, for instance,
are less susceptible (but not immune) to macro-ing.

-Will Jennings