[MUD-Dev] Removing the almighty experience point...

Miroslav Silovic miro at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 29 14:45:18 CEST 2004

Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> Well, many MUSHes are quite successful, and those don't have
>> grind.

> Successful in what sense? They've managed to give a free service
> away to some people? ;)

Well, I measure success in terms of traffic generated. If the game
makes you spend (for example) $10/month and 50 hours on a game, and
your hour is worth >$1, how is that more of a success (as a /game/,
rather than as an enterprise) than if it only makes you spend 50
hours?

To make it absolutely clear, I don't believe there is such a thing
as a free service, if you're putting up an online game.

> It's not a step in any direction, cool though it is. It's part of
> a very small niche within the niche that is MMORPGs.

I'm not sure how the second sentence implies the first here?

    Miro