[MUD-Dev] Shift in time

Mike Rozak Mike at mxac.com.au
Thu Sep 30 07:52:18 CEST 2004

Brian Lindahl wrote:

> than a sole person on the list. Where have all the developers
> gone?  Are you all lying dorment, or has the interest of the list
> shifted towards entertainment and social aspects of MUDs?

I'm a developer (and designing too). I saw your event systems and
database posts, but since my software is so different from what
you're working on, there's not much I can add. If you asked
questions about text-to-speech, speech recognition, rendering and
ray tracing, 3D modelling, procedural textures, music synthesis, or
NLP I might have some useful answers. (At some point, a MMORPG
developer may decide to incorporate TTS, and then I can help. At the
moment, MMORPG developers still think pre-recorded voices for all
10K NPCs in the world is a nifty feature, and haven't realized the
nightmare they're creating for themselves.) I haven't posted any of
my technical questions because most of my issues are unlikely to be
encountered by text MUDs or contemporary MMORPGs.

I didn't notice the AI post; I'll be getting to AI issues in about a
month, so I might have useful answers, or at least questions of my
own. Here's a question: Are there any good AI books that discuss
planning, emotion simulation, and/or conversations? (I already found
a so-so book about chatterbots.)

Mike Rozak
http://www.mxac.com.au