[MUD-Dev] Shift in time

Michael Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Thu Sep 30 19:39:43 CEST 2004

Mike Rozak wrote:

> Here's a question: Are there any good AI books that discuss
> planning, emotion simulation, and/or conversations? (I already
> found a so-so book about chatterbots.)

On the subject of emotions in particular, the best ones I know
aren't really practical: Roz Picard's "Affective Computing",
Damasio's "Looking for Spinoza" for deeper but accessible
background.  Ekman's "Emotions Revealed" is good but not directly
applicable.  Ortony, Clore, & Collins' book "The Cognitive Structure
of Emotions" is worthwhile but (IMO) woefully misused currently --
and the OCC model has great weight in most current AI-emotions
research.

There are a variety of good research papers out there too, some
fairly dense.  The work is all very, very basic in a lot of ways --
despite the often grandiose titles of the papers published!

I can say too that emotions, planning, and conversations are areas
that we're working in with some success.  We're not ready to talk
more about what we're doing publicly just yet though.

Mike Sellers
Online Alchemy