[MUD-Dev] Marketing Resources?

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Fri Apr 22 20:43:01 CEST 2005

Michael Hartman wrote:

> Are there any good resources out there for enhancing one's
> understanding of marketing in the gaming business?

In terms of reading material. For the games world specifically
Jessica and Bridgette's fine book contains sections on marketing:

  Developing Online Games: Insiders Guide, Jessica Mulligan,
  Bridgette Petrovsky, Bridgette Patrovsky, Prentice Hall PTR.
  www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592730000

Though as someone who's day job has been marketing on and off for
the last 10 years or so, I have to say that a good grounding in the
basics will go a very very long way whatever industry sector you
happen to be working in.

IMHO the finest text book on marketing is 'Kotler':

  Marketing Management: Millennium Edition (10th Edition)
  (Hardcover) by Philip Kotler
  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130122173/002-5555803-0024009?v=glance

Hmm, maybe MUD-DEV needs a mutant off shoot MUD-SELL for discussions
of marketing stuff.

Ren
www.renreynolds.com
terranova.blogs.com

,,,and just this once my commercial, strategy, marketing and product
development consultancy: www.sizeofaplanet.com